来源：e度社区 作者：大连中考网编辑 2013-02-28 11:27:34
1. I felt that if the day arrived when I was unable to lift one foot up one step and then drag the other painfully after it - repeating the process 14 times until, utterly spent, I would be though - I could then admit defeat and lie down and die.
我感到如果哪天我不能先抬起一只脚，另一只脚再痛苦地跟上，并把这一动 作重复 14次，直到疲惫不堪，那我就完了。这一天到来之时，就是我承认 失败、倒下、死亡 之时。
2. Here hobbled a bitterly disillusioned cripple, a man who held on to his sanity and his wife and his home and his job because of 14 miserable steps leading up to the back door from his garage.
这是一个梦想破灭、痛苦失望的残疾人，他蹒跚着，正是因为有了这条从车 库通向 后门的可怕的14级台阶，他才能保持理智、陪伴妻子、维护家庭、 坚持工作。
3. gusty winds and slashing rain beat down on the car as I drove slowly down one of the less-traveled roads.
4. the enormity of the situation swept over me.
5. She was answered by the murmur of the man's lower voice and the slow tilting of the car as it was jacked up.
6. In the next few frozen seconds the shame and horror of that moment penetrated and I was sick with an intensity I had never felt before.
接下来的几秒钟里，时间仿佛凝固了，那一刻羞愧与恐惧感将我穿透，那强 烈的痛 苦我从未感受过。
7. I realized that I was filled to overflowing with self-pity, selfishness, indifference to the needs of others and thoughtlessness.
8. Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.